Dish ready in – 1 hour 20 mins
Serve to – 4 adults
Bengali recipe for DOI MAACH
- 1 Kg Rohu or any freshwater fish pieces properly cleaned and washed
- Fish Marination:
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp Red chilly powder
- 2 tsp Mustard oil
- Pinch of salt
- Curry ingredients:
- 2 tbsp Mustard oil
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4 Cloves
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon stick
- 4 Green cardamoms
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Hot red chilly powder/Kashmiri Lal mirch powder
- 2 tsp eqv Ginger garlic paste
- Paste of 1-1/2 Onion
- 1/2 kg Curd properly whisked (not too sour)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 8-10 raisins
- Fresh Coriander leaves
- Fresh green Chilli
How to marinate:
1. Take the washed and drained fish pieces in a bowl and add the ingredients – turmeric, chilly powder, salt and mustard oil. Mix gently to achieve a uniform marination
2. Keep the marinated mix covered for 15-20 minutes.
Whisk the curd well in another bowl and add the turmeric and red chilly powder under curry preparation. Now, keep the mix aside.
1.Take a frying pan or a kadhai and heat on medium flame. Add 2 tablespoon of mustard oil and let heat till half minute.
2.Once hot, add the marinated fish pieces and fry them for 2-3 minutes on each side. Once the colour turns golden brown but well soft. Remove the fish pieces in a plate.
3. In the same pan with the left oil, now add bay leaves, cumin seeds and whole spices till they leave fragrance and change color.
4. To it, add onion paste and saute till golden brown in color. Then add ginger-garlic paste and cook the aromatic spice base with a little water until it’s a rich but light golden in color and the oil floats to the surface.
5. Now, just turn down the flame to medium-low and after one minute add the whisked curd and spice mixture. Keep stirring gently for 5 minutes and then let the curd gravy at simmer for 10 to 15 minutes till the oil surfaces. Now, you have achieved a gravy which is a mustard-golden-yellow in color and highly fragrant.
6. Check the taste and add some salt if required and stir to mix well. At this point, add the pieces of half soft fried fish in the gravy and simmer it for another 10 minutes to gently poach the fish to perfection. Let the fish spend time on both sides in the gravy.
7. Check, if the fish seems cooked with a fork. Once the oil starts floating on the surface, just turn of the flame and have a final taste check.
8. Add a tea spoon of sugar and the raisins and stirr.
9.The dish is ready. Just shift it to a serving bowl and squeeze a fresh lime. Add whole green chilli pieces 2-3 and fresh corriander leaves to garnish.
10.Serve the special Doi Maach dish with steamed rice to your family or friends.
If you find the recipe useful do comment below