Dish ready in – 1 hr 20 mins
Serve to – 3-4 adults
Muri Ghonto recipe - Poila Boishak special 2021
About Muri Ghonto recipe – Poila Boishak 2021 special: This is one of the famous Bengali New year Special/festival dish. It has the goodness of fish oils and bones, and taste of a life time. Check out all the recipes at our Bengali New Year 2021 special category.
How to make this Recipe?
- Fish Head: 1 (Rohu/ Katla Fish)
- Rice/ Chura: 50g
- Ginger- Garlic Paste: 1 Tbsp
- Bay leaf: 2 nos
- Cumin Seed: 1 Tsp
- Dry Red Chili: 2 nos
- Potato: 3 nos
- Onion: 2 nos medium sized
- Tomato: 1 no
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp
- Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp
- Jeera Powder: 1 Tsp
- Red Chili powder: 1 Tsp
- Mustard Oil: 2 Tbsp
- Ghee: 1 Tsp
- Salt: To taste
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp
- Take the fish head part and part it into atleast 2 pieces.Wash nicely and rub turmeric powder and salt to the fish head and keep side.
- Wash rice/ Chura and keep aside.
- Wash the potatoes and cut into small-equal sizes.
- Take the onions and tomato and make separate puree.
- Now, in a Kadhai, put 1 tbsp oil and heat. Put the fish head and fry evenly on both sides in medium flame for around 5-7 minutes or till it turns brown and keep aside.
- Add a little more oil in the kadhai and fry potatoes in medium flame and saute for 3-4 mins. The potatoes should be less than half cooked. Keep aside.
- To the hot oil, add the Red Chilies, Bay leaves, and Cumin seeds and onion puree and cook for around 5-7 minutes on medium flame. Stir regularly to avoid burning.
Add twist of taste and flavours:
- Then add Ginger-Garlic Paste and Pureed Tomato and cook till the oil surfaces.
- Add the rice/ chura to the mixture and cook on a medium flame for about 5 minutes.
- Now add the spices like Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Red Chilli powder, Sugar, and Salt and cook till the oil surfaces and rice is cooked.
- Now add the fried Fish head and the fried potatoes.
- Add water as per the gravy consistency you prefer. Cover with a lid and let cook under low-medium flame for 15-20 minutes.
- Check periodically till the potatoes are cooked and the Garam Masala Powder and Ghee to the Muri Ghonto.
- Garnish with coriandar leaves and serve hot with steamed rice. Your Muri Ghonto is ready to serve for the Bengali New year 2021 special- Poila Boishak.